Published: 7 March 2022
Joint Statement from EU Justice and Home Affairs Agencies on Ukraineå
The EU Justice and Home Affairs Agencies, including the European Union Agency for Asylum, are supporting the work of EU institutions and Member States as they help Ukraine and its people now that war once again touches Europe.
By working together and utilising each agency’s particular expertise, we engage as a matter of urgency to assist EU Member States in terms of humanitarian support, respect for fundamental rights, management of EU external borders, visa measures, anticipation of hybrid threats, and reception of people fleeing war. This includes establishing a temporary protection mechanism for the displaced persons from Ukraine. Such support is in line with the measures agreed at the Justice and Home Affairs Council meeting of 3-4 March, as well as with the outcomes of the extraordinary Justice and Home Affairs Council meeting of 27 February in response to Russia’s military aggression over Ukraine.
We also encourage all staff of EU Agencies to help people in need and appreciate the support some colleagues are already providing.
As part of the Trio Presidency of the JHA Agencies’ Network, the EUAA issues this statement on behalf of the network of the nine EU Agencies working on the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice.
The JHA Agencies’ Network consists of:
- the European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE)
- the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)
- the European Union Agency for Asylum (EUAA)
- the EU Agency for the Operational Management of Large-Scale IT Systems in the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice (eu-LISA)
- the EU Agency for Criminal Justice Cooperation (Eurojust)
- the EU’s Law Enforcement Agency (Europol)
- the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)
- the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex)
- the European Agency for Law Enforcement Training (CEPOL)
Any further information may be obtained from the European Union Agency for Asylum’s Press Office at the following email addresses: