EASO has a key role as an independent centre of expertise on asylum. In this regard, EASO:
- collects data on asylum flows and all main stages of the Common European Asylum System via its Early warning and Preparedness System (EPS);
- acts as a clearing-house for European Country of Origin Information by drafting COI reports on major countries of origin, enhancing practical cooperation via meetings of country experts and manages the European COI Portal;
- provides an overview of the organisation of national asylum systems and asylum-relevant case law via its Information and Documentation System (IDS - forthcoming)
- conducts research into push, pull and intervening factors determining asylum-related migration via its Research Programme
- publishes an Annual report on the situation of asylum in the European Union as per Article 12 of its founding regulation.
In addition, in its Country Guidance work, EASO coordinates Member States' efforts to develop common analysis and guidance notes on particular countries of origin.