Publication date: 29 June 2022
The 'Country Guidance: Iraq' represents Member States' joint assessment of the situation in the country of origin in relation to the applicable international and EU legislation on international protection. The guidance note, accompanied by the common analysis, was agreed by the EUAA Country Guidance Network of senior policy officials in May 2022 and was endorsed by the EUAA Management Board in June 2022.
In addition to this electronic publication, the 'Country Guidance: Iraq' (June 2022) is available in pdf format.
The 'Country Guidance: Iraq' applies the common legislative framework regarding qualification for international protection in an in-depth analysis of the situation in the country. The analysis and conclusions in this document are based on the most up-to-date EUAA country of origin information reports, which were available at the time of its completion.
The 'Country Guidance: Iraq' aims to provide assistance to decision-makers and policy-makers in the EU and beyond, by addressing the following topics:
- actors of persecution and serious harm (Article 6 of the Qualification Directive);
- refugee status and analysis of the protection needs of specific profiles of applicants encountered in practice (Article 9 and 10 of the Qualification Directive);
- subsidiary protection, including the risk of death penalty or execution (Article 15(a) of the Qualification Directive); torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment (Article 15(b) of the Qualification Directive); and serious and individual threat to a civilian’s life or person by reason of indiscriminate violence in situations of international or internal armed conflict (Article 15(c) of the Qualification Directive);
- actors of protection (Article 7 of the Qualification Directive);
- internal protection alternative (Article 8 of the Qualification Directive); and
- exclusion (Article 12 and Article 17 of the Qualification Directive).
© European Union Agency for Asylum (EUAA), 2022
Catalogue number BZ-07-22-416-EN-Q